Double Adirondack Chairs: 4 Basic Tips to Avoid Fakes
The quest for authenticity in our material possessions is justified. This is especially true for pieces of furniture that carry with them a rich history and cultural significance such as double Adirondack chairs.
Their elegance and sophistication have captivated many. But before you go seek the relaxation and leisure often associated with rustic furniture, beware that their popularity comes with its own set of challenges.
Key among them is the proliferation of fake Adirondack chairs in the market—a hallmark of shoddy craftsmanship and low-grade materials.
Authentic Adirondack chairs are crafted from the highest quality materials. While this may translate into higher buying prices, the care and precision put into their construction are responsible for the chairs’ comfortable and relaxing experience.
The authentic design of Adirondack chairs with a sloping seat high-back and wide armrest is evidence of the ingenuity and creativity of great artisans. Each set of chairs is a piece of art in its own right and counterfeit versions fail to capture the essence of this design.
Avoiding fake double Adirondack chairs is the best way to:
- Ensure safety
- Protect quality
- Uphold ethics
Here is a discussion of basic tips that will help you discern an authentic Adirondack chair from a fake one, and point you in the direction of great and original purchases.
1 - Research the Brand
Before settling on a particular brand of double Adirondack chairs, you want to ascertain the brand’s reputation. This involves some level of research into their manufacturing processes, their trustworthiness, as well as their quality standards.
Researching a brand is the easiest and most reliable way to answer the following questions:
- What are their quality assurance standards?
- How authentic are their double Adirondack chairs?
- What customer service policies and practices do they have?
This research process involves a variety of methods. You can:
Look at their reviews: Find reviews from previous customers who have bought the same chairs. What are they saying about the product’s quality and durability?
Reviews are the simplest way to get a feel of the products from someone who has already experienced the chairs first-hand.
- Check their website: Visiting the manufacturer’s website can provide you with information about the brand’s production processes. Look for information on materials used in construction, return policies, as well as warranties offered.
- Ask for recommendations: Find someone who has an authentic set of double Adirondack chairs and ask them where they purchased from. You can also ask your favorite furniture store to recommend quality brands you should consider.
Maybe you’re still asking yourself, “Why should I go through all this hustle when all I want is to make a purchase?”
A reputable brand gives you access to:
- Quality Adirondack chairs: Reputable brands are committed to producing or selling quality products that are comfortable and durable.
- Warranty and support: Making the purchase is just the first step.You need a brand that stands behind its products; one that understands your concerns and addresses any issues that may arise.
- High environmental standards: A reputable brand likely fulfills its environmental obligations by ensuring its chairs are made of materials that are sustainably sourced.
As an authorized dealer of all the brands on our website, Rustic Furniture Marketplace offers full manufacturer warranties on every order. This means we stand behind the quality of our Adirondack chairs.
"Excellent company to deal with. From ordering, to fast delivery …. "
2 - Check the Materials
Identifying authentic double Adirondack chairs requires you to know the material they’re made of. Genuine chairs are made from high-quality materials, such as cedar, pine, or reclaimed wood.
You cannot gamble with the materials used in construction as they greatly determine:
- Quality: The choice of material significantly affects the quality and consequently the durability of the chairs. Cedar, pine, and teak are popular choices due to their resistance to rot and insects.
- Safety: Chairs made from poor-quality material are likely to pose a safety risk due to cracks, splinters, and even breakage.
- Style: High-quality materials produce aesthetically pleasing Adirondack chairs due to their natural beauty and color. Low quality ones may have an artificial appearance that's detracting from the overall aesthetic.
The goal is to identify flimsy or cheap materials. How do you do this?
- Examine the construction of the chair: Cheap materials are often used to cut corners. You'll therefore find obvious signs of shoddy workmanship, like uneven cuts, poorly fitting pieces, or wobbly joints.
- Check the weight capacity: Chairs made from cheap materials have a lower weight capacity than higher-quality ones.
- Look at the hardware: High-quality chairs will use sturdy, rust-resistant hardware that is designed to last. Flimsy screws, bolts, and other hardware may be an indication that the chair is made from cheap materials.
- Examine the finish: A chair made from cheap materials may have a rough or uneven finish or the finish may be flaking or peeling off. Look closely at the surface of the chair to make sure it is smooth and even.
All of the above tips aim for one thing: to help you purchase a durable and long-lasting set of double Adirondack chairs that will provide you with numerous benefits, such as:
- The ability to withstand harsh weather elements without deteriorating or losing their luster
- Avoiding the cost and inconvenience of having to replace or repair a low-quality chair every other year
- Providing you with a comfortable and relaxing outdoor seating option for many years to come.
3 - Look for Certifications
Certifications are basically like a stamp of approval that lets you know that a company's products meet certain standards (kind of like gold stars on a report card!).
For example, the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certification is given to wood products that come from forests managed in a sustainable and eco-friendly way. The Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) is another organization that promotes responsible forest management practices.
By checking into certifications you can determine a brand's commitment to:
- Trustworthiness: Certifications act as a badge of honor for manufacturers who have committed to producing high-quality products.
- Sustainability: Environmentally-responsible certifications show you that the products you purchase are made from sustainable materials and produced using sustainable processes.
- Safety: Certain certifications such as the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) certification guarantee that the products you buy have undergone rigorous testing to ensure they meet industry safety standards.
Environmentally responsible products are essential for the preservation of our planet and the sustainability of our way of life. By choosing to invest in such products, you contribute to minimizing the damage that human activities have on the environment such as pollution and deforestation.
It's also a way of supporting companies that produce environmentally responsible products. This helps promote ethical business practices and encourages other companies to follow suit.
4 - Compare Prices
What significance does price have in determining the genuinity of Adirondack chairs? The simple answer is, a lot. Genuine chairs are crafted from high-quality materials that are more expensive compared to counterfeit ones.
The cost of double Adirondack chairs can vary depending on the materials used, brand, and many other factors. Generally, chairs made from high-quality materials can cost from several hundreds of dollars to a few thousand.
Comparing prices allows you to:
- Get a better understanding of the average price range for double Adirondack chairs. If you come across a seller who is offering a set at a significantly lower price than what you've seen elsewhere, it could be a red flag of the chairs being fake or of low-quality.
- Assess the value of the chairs you are considering. If you find two sets of chairs that are similar in price but one has additional features or is made from higher-quality materials, it may be worth spending a little more to get the better set.
- Identify reputable sellers offering high-quality double Adirondack chairs. If you find that several reputable sellers are offering the same chairs at a similar price point, it is likely that these chairs are of similar quality and can be trusted.
Here are a few pointers to help you out in doing the comparison:
- Determine the specific type of double Adirondack chairs you're interested in. It's best to compare apples to apples when looking at different prices from various sellers. These include online retailers, local brick-and-mortar stores, and directly from the manufacturer.
- Be sure to take into account any shipping or delivery fees that may be added to the final cost. At Rustic Furniture Marketplace, we offer free shipping to all the lower 48 U.S. states.
- Be aware of any hidden costs or fees that may be associated with your purchase. For example, some sellers may charge a restocking fee if you return the chairs.
Expert Tip: Chairs that are being sold during a clearance sale or any other promotion may be significantly discounted. This may be a good time to take advantage because you’re likely to find high-quality Adirondack chairs for a cheaper price.
Get Value for Your Money
As with anything worth investing in, it’s always important to do your due diligence. Find out if you’re getting exactly what you're paying for or being shortchanged by cons.
When it comes to something as iconic as double Adirondack chairs, you want to make sure they’re the real deal.
The table below shows a summarized comparison between authentic and fake Adirondack chairs.
|Features||Authentic Adirondack Chairs||Fake Adirondack Chairs|
|Price||Typically more expensive due to high-quality materials and craftsmanship||Often priced lower to lure buyers|
|Materials||Made from high-quality and durable materials such as cedar and teak||Made from cheap and flimsy materials such as low-grade wood or resin|
|Certifications||Often certified by reputable organizations such as the FSC and SFI||Lacks any certification or falsely claimed to be certified|
|Construction||Expertly crafted with attention to detail, including proper joints and hardware||Poor construction with uneven joints, weak hardware, and rough edges|
To avoid disappointment, research the brand, check the materials, compare the prices, and consider certifications. This is the only way you can have some control over the quality of the double Adirondack chairs you purchase.
At Rustic Furniture Marketplace, we pride ourselves on our large hand-picked curated collection of Adirondack chairs from some of the best crafters such as Creekvine Designs and Nature’s Lawn & Patio.
Get in touch with us to access not just authentic double Adirondack chairs, but also a lifetime of support.
"Workmanship, style, comfort, and looks, all come together with this product and arrived in less than two weeks. Totally satisfied."
Share on Facebook: